Wisdom Panel 2.0 Breed Identification DNA Test Kit for Dogs By Wisdom Panel
With a simple cheek swab, you can uncover DNA-based insights that may help you understand your dog's unique appearance, behaviors, training and wellness needs. The Wisdom Panel Canine DNA test covers more than 350 breeds, varieties and types. In addition to an ancestry chart the report will also provide a predicted weight profile to keep a healthy Body Condition Score as well as breed descriptions, and potential breakdown for any mixed-breed legacy.
- An insight to what breeds are in your dog
- Help create an appropriate training program
- Better understand your pets behaviour
- Help creating an effective care and wellness plan
- Adult weight range prediction
- Official ancestry report reviling your dog's unique genetic background
- Have your comprehensive results in approximately 3 weeks
I have a wolf hybrid will it be able to detect the percentage of wolf?
No, The UK Wisdom Panel 2.0 does not test for the wolf and coyote wild canids.
I have a 15 week old puppy. Can I DNA test my pup at any age?
Yes, this product is for all life stages.
How much does it cost to have the test done?
After you swab your pet and seal the carton, you're good to go. A pre-paid shipping label has already been placed on the carton so you can just place it in the mail.
Can you use the two cotton swabs for two different dogs?
Both swabs must be used for one dog since you have to repeat the initial steps a second time to get the most accurate results.
I saw someone's results that indicated their dog was 12.5% mixed breed. Why would the lab results show this?
Wisdom Panel breaks down a dog’s lineage in the form of an ancestry tree. This allows you to see which breeds are present at the parent, grandparent, and great-grandparent levels. Keep in mind that a parent contributes 50% of their DNA to the puppy, while a grandparent contributes about 25% and great-grandparent approximately 12.5%. If a purebred is not present, you will see a mixed breed tag or the ancestral group symbol in its place.
My dog is from a country outside the UK, will this be a problem?
The Wisdom Panel test was developed using pure breeds primarily from those found on The Kennel Club and the American Kennel Club registry lists. If your dog was imported from a country other than Canada, the UK, Australia, Germany, or mainland U.S., or you suspect that your dog’s ancestors are from outside these countries, his/her breed ancestry may not be well represented in the database.
Instructions for use:
- OPEN SWAB SLEEVE –Peel back the edges of the swab sleeve about 3 centimetres (not all the way) and remove swab by holding its handle. Do not touch the bristles. Save the sleeve to place the swabs in for mailing.
- COLLECT CHEEK CELLS – Firmly roll the swab’s bristles between the inner surface of the cheek and gums for about 15 seconds for each swab. NOTE: DO NOT let your dog eat anything or share a water dish with other dogs for about an hour before you do the test.
- AIR DRY SWABS – Allow swabs to dry for about five minutes. Repeat steps 1-3 for the second swab.
- ACTIVATE YOUR KIT – Visit www.wisdompanel.co.uk and click on the “Activate You Kit” button at the top of the page. Fill out all the information, check it for accuracy and submit. You will receive an Activation Code Number that you need to write on the back of your Sample ID Sticker.
- APPLY SAMPLE ID STICKER – Complete the label with your Activation Code Number and apply it to the back of the swab sleeve.
- REINSERT DRY SWABS – Reinsert both dry swabs into the protective sleeve they came in. DO NOT reseal as this can cause bacterial growth.
- SEAL THE CARTON – Place the sleeve with the swabs back into the carton it came in and seal. If it was a box, place the tabs in the slots, remove the tape backing and close carton tightly.
- MAIL TEST TO LAB – Apply the included pre-paid shipping label and place with the outgoing mail. Note all international samples are shipped to the US for processing so please allow extra time. IN APPROXIMATELY 2-3 WEEKS FROM THE TIME THE SAMPLE REACHES THE LAB YOU WILL BE EMAILED A LINK TO DOWNLOAD YOUR REPORT.